Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #197
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have been using my new battery powered hedger for a few weeks now and at this stage I can say that I'm a convert to battery electric power.

In the same way the people have range anxiety with electric cars, I was nervous about committing funds to a machine that may let me down mid-job. Run out of juice on a two-stroke mid way through a job, simply fill it up and off you go again. The prospect of having to re-charge/swap batteries was something that I didn't really want to have to do............time is money after all. The reality is, the capacity of the batteries is more than sufficient and my concerns unfounded. I simply recharge at the end of the day.

So, cheaper to run, no smelly fuel, quieter running, less vibration, no fumes and lighter to handle.

Did a bit of a light clean up on a Lilly Pilly hedge today.

I have also been using this Briggs and Stratton Lanolin lubricant on the blades. Much better than products like WD-40 or RP7 (these aren't lubricants really) and it even smells good.

I suppose another advantage , especially with hedge trimmers is lower weight of the unit . Mine is a littley , very old Jonsered HT21 ..21 " blade but it's heavy-ish at height . Only use it occasionally to trim an elderly friend's shrubs but on a ladder I'm glad to get down after a few minutes . Put a new fuel line on it at Easter , runs good again but I reckon if I ever bought a new one it'd be a battery one for sure .
I do own a single line battery trimmer made by Rockwell that's good for about half an hour non stop of stuff around garden beds , trees , fences etc . Recharge of the 18V 2 Ah battery is about an hour . A second battery would be handy but I can literally lift it with one finger and no ear protection required at 92 Dba..You chaps tips on the lubricants for the hedgy's is good to know ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 09-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote