View Single Post
Old 18-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shipping car from AU to NZ

Obviously make sure you take the insurance.
But I'd also be checking what the insurance covers in terms of your whitegoods.
Moving older whitegoods is always a problem. We've moved twice recently, the first time about 2km and our dryer stopped working, and the next about 10km and the washer stopped.
Unless you have really premium stuff, I'd be trying to sell it for a reasonable price in gumtree.

If you do go the container route, buy a bunch of rugs from the Salvos to wrap everything. Try to scrounge as many old cushions as you can, and pack all your fragile items using spray foam.
I've lived and worked in Asia, and know a lot of families that made the trip back and forth. Whilst furniture etc is usually fine, shipping crockery and glassware was usually a lost cause.

When choosing who to use, don't necessarily accept the cheapest quote. Try to sus out where they are going to save the money.
Make sure you have exclusive use of your container, and that they guarantee not to repack.
Make sure the time-frame for shipping is clearly defined. You don't want your stuff sitting in the container yard waiting for the cheapest ride.
Make sure the shipping route and method is locked in. (Probably not an issue Melb-Auck, but make sure that they're not going to truck it up to Sydney etc because there's a half-empty ship departing from there.
Lastly, if you can and it doesn't effect the cost too much, time your move for the months/season when favourable weather is more likely.
(Not sure when that would be for the Tasman??)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote