View Single Post
Old 30-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: 94 Telstar V6 - Sell or Fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelstarHeaven
Update.. the Oil leak is from the main seal so its at least $300 to fix.

Any opinions??
Is this the main front seal or the rear ? If it's the front seal and you go ahead with it then you would want to consider having the water pump and timing belt done at the same time, if it's the main rear seal and it's a manual transmission, then it would pay you to do the clutch etc... while it's all apart. Either way I would be prepared to do some serious dollar picking from the money tree

I'm not a mechanic but $300 to replace the main seal on one of these motors seems a tad cheap to me, allowing for an hourly labour rate of say $80 plus the parts I could see that job costing easily twice that. I can't remember exactly what mine cost, but when I had the timing belt done they discovered that the water pump was weaping as was the main front oil seal and it was a case of fix it properly if your keeping the car or be prepared to have to have it done later down the track. I opted to have it all fixed then and there as I was planning on keeping it for a while but I was unlucky with mine and it was one thing after an another kept going wrong, that's why I got rid of it after 6 months, my money tree couldn't keep up with the demand

Last edited by Russ; 30-08-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote