View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
WildRacer
Cougar King

Default Re: Cougar - 3.0L Engine Swap Info

I've forgotten to point out a couple of things which I've missed for this swap.

-The drivers side engine mount which bolts between the heads is recommended to be grinded down a bit, in case you'd like to take the mount out without taking off the heads (Using the 3.0 Heads).

-The Pulse Wheel needs to be flipped over (Not rotated) for some of the 3.0s, I was totally confused with this but I found out my Escape engine already had it the right way around. The best way to sort this is to take a picture of it when you take the timing cover off of the 2.5l

-The timing cover from the 2.5 needs to be used on the 3.0 as the 3.0 cover has a different layout and wouldn't work with our Cougar accessories.

-I used the PCV system from the 2.5 (In the middle of the heads) as it was identical to the 3.0. This is a regular service item (I've been told), so make sure to replace the PCV valve as if this gets blocked up it will cause some issues.

-Timing the cams is just as you'd set it up for a 3.0 Escape.

-Valve covers you can either use the Plastic Escape ones or the original 2.5 covers. I opted for the Escape cover on the rear and the 2.5 on the front.

-Escape Injectors should plug straight into the Cougar wiring harness, no modifications needed.

-It also should be noted that the coil pack will need to be relocated if you decide to use the 3.0 Upper and Lower manifolds as the upper 3.0 manifold literally sits on top of the whole rear valve cover.

-As mentioned before all accessories bolt straight on, as do all the 2.5 sensors. It's basically an identical engine to the 2.5 with a little more capacity, better cams, better heads, valves, oil pan, intakes etc.

-3.0 Escape gasket kit will work.

- You can use the 2.5 oil dipstick with the 3.0 Oil Pan. Make sure to use the 3.0 oil pickup tube though.

-All the coolant pipes match up and the bolt holes for everything are the same as the 2.5l

-Make sure you choose a 3.0 which was used from 2001 - 2005 only, the ones from 2006 above use VVT which would complicate things greatly.

They should really have put this engine in from Factory, there are a lot more parts available for the 3.0 over the 2.5 as they were used in the Escape, Mazda Tribute, Mazda MPV (04-05) and Jaguar X-Type (I think they use the VVT version) in Australia. Feels like a completely different car now.

I hope I covered most of everything. Any questions I'd be happy to answer.

Mods:
Escape 3.0 V6
ST220 UIM and LIM
NPG Fuel Adapter
California Clutch Stage 2 Disk and PP
ST200 Flywheel
Torsen LSD
Updated Shift Forks
ToyoSport Exhaust Headers
Custom 2.5" Exhaust dual
BAT 21mm RSB
PRT Heavy Duty rear drop links