View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
WildRacer
Cougar King

Talking Cougar - 3.0L Engine Swap Info

Hi all,

I know this part of the forum isn't really active much now but I thought I'd breath a life of fresh air with anyone that owns a Cougar here.

I have recently completed my first engine swap, which involved swapping a 2003 Ford Escape engine into a 2000 Ford Cougar. The whole process is pretty simple and is detailed over on the US Forum NECO in the 3L Performance section. It is pretty much a bolt in swap, as the external dimensions are identical. This means that all the accessories from the 2.5 will bolt straight onto the 3.0 including the Manual gearbox from the Cougars. Wiring harness comes straight off the 2.5 along with all the sensors too.

The only modifications which stood out to me are:

-Cutting or pulling the pilot bearing off of the crankshaft.
-Cutting two of the Alternator tabs off as they are unused for the Cougar alternator
-If your going with the 3.0 Upper and Lower intake the vacuum lines may need to be slightly modified to fit.
-Again if your going with the 3.0 Upper and lower intakes, the 3.0 Fuel Rail will need to be used too. Although this is a returnless rail and our Cougars use a return style system, so a modification will need to be made to convert the Cougar lines to work with this. I used an adapter made up from Nautilus Performance Group, they don't seem to be listed anymore but you can send them an email and ask for a 3.0 Duratec Return to Returnless Fuel Adapter. Which works like a charm.

These really were the only necessary modifications needed to be made to get the engine to work. But WOW, I've got to say it's a night and day difference compared to the 2.5L and with the Torsen Limited Slip Differential, it handles the corners like it's on rails. I was driving in the rain yesterday and it lit up both tires at just under half throttle and jinked the car to the right . I've also noticed it revs a lot faster and the revs drop instantly when you take your foot off the pedal. I know my old 2.5l had some terrible rev hang.

I've still yet to get a remap for the Cougar ECU but am hoping it can be done at my local Ford tuner to open her up even more.

Any questions regarding this swap please let me know!

If anyone is curious or would like some ideas for mods here is my modification list they are as follows:

-2003 Ford Escape 3.0 V6
-Port and Polish
-2003 Mondeo ST220 Upper Intake Manifold and 2005 Mazda MPV Lower Intake Manifold (As they are made of Aluminium unlike the Escape Manifolds)
-NPG Fuel Rail Return to Returnless Adapter (As above)
-California Clutch Stage 2 Disk and Pressure Plate
-Mondeo ST200 Flywheel (Slightly Lighter than stock)
-MTX-75 Torsen LSD
-2002 Ford Focus MTX-75 Updated Shift Forks
-ToyoSport Exhaust Headers and Y-Pipe
-Custom 2.5" Exhaust with Muffler leading into dual piper with resonators. (She pops and backfires)
-BAT 21mm Rear Sway Bar (Had the rear subframe welded and braced to cope with the extra stress)
-PRT Heavy Duty rear drop links with Poly bushes
-Energy Suspension Polybushes all around (Front sway bar, rear sway bar, roll resistors, rear control arms)
-Eibach Struts and Springs (Came standard with the Eibach version)
-Eibach body kit (Came standard with the Eibach version)
-2001 Cougar Gauges
-2001 Cougar Steering Wheel
-Aluminium Sports Pedals (Off of the US Version)
-Sony Double Din Headunit (w/ Reverse Camera)

Thanks,
WildRacer

Mods:
Escape 3.0 V6
ST220 UIM and LIM
NPG Fuel Adapter
California Clutch Stage 2 Disk and PP
ST200 Flywheel
Torsen LSD
Updated Shift Forks
ToyoSport Exhaust Headers
Custom 2.5" Exhaust dual
BAT 21mm RSB
PRT Heavy Duty rear drop links
Energy Suspension Polybushes all around
Eibach Suspension
Eibach body kit
01 Gauges
01 Steering Wheel
Aluminium Sports Pedals
Sony Double Din HU
ST200 Airbox
ST200 TB
Direnza ST200 Aluminium Radiator
Goodridge Brake Hoses

Last edited by WildRacer; 04-04-2020 at 04:06 PM.
WildRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: