View Single Post
Old 20-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #166
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Outstanding service!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Agree and disagree, its good to see aftermarket components available when genuine is obsolete. From my history, the cheaper ones that although fit don't seem to last as long as the genuine, speaking in general terms that is, not specific to gas struts (front wheel bearing on a AU for an example).

I hope I am wrong in your case and that your purchase is a good one, but most times the genuine one is dearer for a good reason, but best to check as sometimes the genuine is cheaper also.
Thanks ...I see your point .. With certain things , no compromise such as brake components , transmission stuff , drivetrain items etc but the dust boots I got came from a company called CV Joints Pty.Ltd Australia via their EBAY facility .On inspection they look perfectly fine but only time will tell if they let go any sooner to the original ones .

The gas struts if they fail fairly quickly it's only $35 down the drain but if they last several years it'll be a bonus . A lottery is correct . The studs though cannot be got from Ford so I was told although the pivots can be . Like a ship without a deck !!!!!...so to find the complete stud/pivot although there are two different threads I bought both , 6mm and 8mm was good . Got to drill and tap or weld anyway because the original surrounds are corroded to buggery , common fault apparently as it turns out .

Genuine v non genuine . About 7-8 years ago I bought a new Panasonic DV Camera but came with only a single battery . I rang the Authorised Panasonic dealer not too far from me and was told a second battery would cost $230 .

We have a crowd called Every Battery in Launceston who source all sorts of batteries for all sorts of things so I rang them . I was astounded to be told that they could provide the same battery , made by a licenced under Panasonic (Japanese company) with same 7.2V rating for $92 including postage . The salesman told me that the only difference was it wouldn't have the Panasonic logo on it . I use that camera to this day a lot and both batteries are still working and recharge the same . In that instance I could have paid $138 more for essentially the exact same item .

I think that this happens more and more over time .

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: