View Single Post
Old 20-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #86
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Sam

Just on the weight loss need, a lot of your progress is related to diet change.

I have been a regular gym goer, jogger, cycler etc for years..For about 20 years on and off I've done roughly 45 min a day a mix of cardio and weights..plus on weekends a 8k jog. I used to be able to eat and drink what I wanted within reason without worrying about adding weight. In the past 18 months though my weight has started to creep up to the point where I'm now 7kg overweight.

So about 6 months ago went to see a personal trainer 2 days a week for 13 weeks who started me on a program of circuit training involving weights. I did 45 min of cardio the other 3 days and 2 days rest. While I became much fitter and being able to benchpress twice what i could at the start I didn't lose one gram of weight. My problem?...I love my food too much, especially chocolate and deserts.

I don't use the trainer anymore but now but I made 2 night time meals a week out of 7 a vegetarian (ssteamed vegies with no sauces) , cut lunch down to one sandwich instead of two with tuna instead of meat and have fruit salad and muesli/yogurt for breakfast. I lost 5kg in a month. I could never give up beer and wine though. Any diet plan has to work around that little obstacle

Thanks Pete. I know diet is a big part of my problem, as I just eat way to much. So I have really cut down on my portion sizes, restricying carbs and cutting the sweets and desserts down.

As to beer? Same as you, some things I simply can't cut out.

But I really need to focus on some regular exercise, as this will be a big factor, as I don't do any at all, which is sooo bad. So I have to suck it up and start doing some serious exercise now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Teschner is a very good brand and make bikes up to the $10,000 dollar bracket. They are very popular here in Bris with roadies and for a good reason, they are good frames and that bike is a very good buy, it is easily a $4000 bike. Ultegra components are competition level stuff and will last many years if you are doing regular fitness type rides.

If you don't buy it I will, it would be great for my daughter.
Thanks Gecko. Part of me is crapping my pants about the cost, but then part of me also says that in 6 or 12 months time I don't need to upgrade or change. Just get good gear now and stick with it. But your sentiments reinforce that it is a pretty good bargain.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote