View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #112
DaveD_XB

Default Re: My XB Coupe RestoMod

The correct RRS backing plate for the rear disk conversion arrived a few weeks ago now, so happy now that I have the correct bracket

As the RRS steering rack required me to hack the end off my stock Steering column to modify it for use with the rack, I decided that I would get another steering column instead so that I could return the steering to stock if I ever needed too. So I decided to go for a fancy tilt column that is already converted for use with the rack, so this should just bolt in… the big difference is that it doesn’t house the ignition barrel in this column so I’ll need to decide where to relocate that too later

The new rear panel that fits across the rear behind the bumper is finished. It looks great & fits really well so very happy with that.

I still haven’t fully decided how I’m going to fix the chassis rails on this car yet, so I’ve decided to give myself as many options as I can to pick from, so on that line of thinking I ordered a set of Mustang rear chassis rails for the 67-73 body style…. Now as luck would have it Ford where very lazy back then & there is very little difference between the US Mustang rails & the Aussie Falcon rails, there are two extra bolt holes on the Mustang ones that are not needed on the XB just in front of the rear springe shackle & there are no holes for the XB tramp rods on the Mustang rails & the very ends of the XB rails flange outward vs an inward flange on the Mustang, but all in all they are so close it’s not funny

Now the options I have available are:

Leave them badly repaired as they are
Try & heat & pull them back into proper length
Replace the worst sections using sections of Mustang rail
Replace them with the complete Mustang rail
Replace them with the complete rails off my spare XB shell (which are in great condition)
1972 Dodge Challenger R/T - Mopar Weekend Toy
1969 GTO - Pontiac Weekend Toy
DaveD_XB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: