View Single Post
Old 29-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
mondeoman
Starter Motor

I've since figured it out with help from a UK Mondeo group.
I'll post all the info here for any other Mondeo owners.
My car is a 1997 HC GLX hatchback 2.0 litre 5 spd manual (it replaces a 1997 HC LX Sedan 2.0 litre 5 spd manual)

OK, behind the headlight switch, there is a globe holder with a 10mm wedge base globe 1.2 or 2 watt seem OK, it illuminates the switch surround and markings.
On the earlier Mondeos (HA and HB here, Mk I in Europe) there is another bulb inside the knob of the light switch. Insert a thin, stiff probe (I used a straightened paperclip) into the small hole at the bottom of the knob itself, press in and pull the knob off when the clip is released. The globe is a BA7 base 1.2 watt and it it just fits into the hollow central shaft of the switch. replace the knob by pressing it back in till it clicks into place.

My HC (Mk II in Europe) has the hollow shaft, but doesn't seem to have the contacts for the globe. If you do need to change the globe in a HA or HB I've been warned that the more commonly found 2 watt globe will cause disclouration and ultimately melting of the switch parts. You need to get the 1.2 watt version.
Then in the middle of the switch knob is another
mondeoman is offline   Reply With Quote