View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #60
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
If FFTC doesn't come from the cabinet, where dos it come from?

I think I did state the difference between FTTN and FTTC endpoints correctly.
fibre up until the FTTC unit is distributed exactly the same as FTTP, aka from the nearest GPON. If you pay for a fibre upgrade from FTTC to FTTP the fibre run is from the FTTC unit to your premises. To do the same for a FTTN premises means running fibre from the nearest GPON which is a long way upstream from the node, hence will cost a lot more.

Quote:
I think your referring to the actual optical distribution network here. At some point, a network has to congregate to a shared cabling resource. An NBN cabinet may have two fibers entering but its the devices at either end that determines the speed. Cabinets in turn congregate back to another central point and so on.

Sure, those cabinet cables have a limited shared speed but as new tech comes along, the endpoint devices can been upgraded as required regardless of where they are physically located.

What was the original FTTP network topology -

Devices in phone exchanges and individual fibres to each home?

Devices in exchanges and backbone fibre cables up streets with taps to each home?

Mini exchanges around suburbs with fibre to each home or backbone up streets with taps to homes?

Mini exchanges around suburbs with fibre cables up streets with taps to each home?

My guess is most of Australia would still be waiting for NBN if it remained 100% FTTP, stunting the growth of internet in Australia, FTTN is fast enough and is still expandable.

I would have thought the exchanges housing the networking equipment for FTTN would require power backup equipment and associated maintenance?
The network diagrams show the various FTTx variants. I’ll go search for one soon.
The original FTTP topology utilises a GPON network and while there are NBN cabinets, they are white and have no power requirements. They are purely for last mile patching to the premises.

FTTN is not expandable to provide the same speeds as what a FTTP solution can achieve. FTTN customers are still hamstrung by the copper from the node to the house.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: