View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #47
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
What's being switched off are ADSL services, which reduces line noise slightly, so NBN services in theory will see a modest jump in speed. For *most* they are still limited by the length of copper to the node, and a couple hundred metres is underselling it. I'm at the boundary of my distribution area, and I am 1.3km from the node… this results in a max speed of around 30Mb. IIRC, less than one third of NBN users are capable of getting 100Mb courtesy of using copper.

Considering the ADSL2 service I was moved off was 24Mb, this is frankly a ****-poor use of tens of billions of dollars of taxpayer funds. The copper network is by and large, crap. Telstra techs have only ever done bare minimum patchups. We've probably all heard of joins stuck in a coke bottle and duct-taped to seal, which inevitably leak and cause major line noise when the pit fills with water. And the 1-2 week waits for NBNco to fix such inevitable problems.

NBN proves we simply don't have the capability to do infrastructure projects in this country anymore.
In this day and age, I still don't understand why we are spending billions to lay down underground cables and wires.

Everything should be 4G, 5G and wireless to our homes like our mobiles.
Yes, it is currently more expensive, but the cost could come down, if you take out the costs to maintain the cables in the long term.

Even if it means paying China to send up new satellites for us to cover Australia in rural areas, it would be worthwhile.

The NBN will be old technology by the time it is all finally rolled out IMO.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: