View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 04:59 PM   #45
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
The Copper distribution network will be "switched off", being ultimately replace completely with Fibre Optics - For many there will still be a couple o'uindred metres of copper between them and the node - and just my 2c - if that copper is ingood nick then it would be good for well over the 100mb that NBN offers.
What's being switched off are ADSL services, which reduces line noise slightly, so NBN services in theory will see a modest jump in speed. For *most* they are still limited by the length of copper to the node, and a couple hundred metres is underselling it. I'm at the boundary of my distribution area, and I am 1.3km from the node… this results in a max speed of around 30Mb. IIRC, less than one third of NBN users are capable of getting 100Mb courtesy of using copper.

Considering the ADSL2 service I was moved off was 24Mb, this is frankly a ****-poor use of tens of billions of dollars of taxpayer funds. The copper network is by and large, crap. Telstra techs have only ever done bare minimum patchups. We've probably all heard of joins stuck in a coke bottle and duct-taped to seal, which inevitably leak and cause major line noise when the pit fills with water. And the 1-2 week waits for NBNco to fix such inevitable problems.

NBN proves we simply don't have the capability to do infrastructure projects in this country anymore.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: