View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #36
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden but interesting read

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
I remember how the highways were in QLD 1970's if a car comes the other way you got 2 wheels off in the dirt and the bridges if they are still used are one way only now :
I said to him Brisbane to Charleville highway was fantastic just before the big floods and the worst part was before Toowoomba and he was crying no it's not !
I grew up in Charleville, and after leaving school and getting a job in 1965, a group of us would get in our Zephyrs, Morrises, and Holdens and drive to the Gold Coast for a fun weekend.
Leave after work Friday, drive all night, party, drive back Sunday night, go to work. Used to take about 12 hours flat out (which wasn’t all that fast) each way, and we considered the Warrego H’way to be really good, only the Charleville to Morven section was unsealed.
I have driven that road a couple of times in the last few years, it has improved marginally, but now, a 12 hour drive will get you from Charleville to about Ipswich.
The volume of traffic, lack of overtaking lanes and opportunities, and roadworks where nothing seems to be happening make it worse than what it was 50 years ago.
Well done Qld Roads.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: