View Single Post
Old 16-12-2018, 01:04 AM   #910
Skellibert

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

My wife was on some sort of anti-depressants and took herself off cold turkey. (A long time ago - I can't remember what it was called)
She managed OK, but I have to say that you should NEVER try it alone.
Talk to the doctor who prescribed them and tell him - don't ask him - tell him you want get off, and follow his program with supervision.

But you need a good doctor willing to help you get off the medication, and you need support outside the doctor as well.

And as much as I hate to say it, sometimes the medication is necessary, so whilst I think you should stand firm on wanting to get off it, if the doctor presents good evidence for the need to continue, then follow his advice.

Now, I do not say they are never any use, but I am sceptical of the value in many cases, and I think drugs are way overprescribed (generally, not even just for depression etc), but taking yourself off them by yourself is dangerous.

And please, before people jump on me for my views - I acknowledge that sometimes the drugs are a necessary treatment. Sometimes there are non-drug alternatives.
Skellibert is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: