View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Wild Inc.
GT-P, GT, GT3.

Default I'm a bit disappointed...

Well, as the above says, I feel a bit hard done by. I got the Petroleum Engineer and not the Marine Biologist. What is he on about, you’re asking? Well.

As a lot of you may know, selling a car through carsales.com.au is a great way to advertise you pride and joy. Although it annoys the hell out of me when I hear of scams of people trying to, well, basically steal my hard earned.
My brother was approached the same way as I was not 6 months ago, when he was selling his car on the website. While I’m not having a go at the website, it is a great facility for my intentions; I can’t comprehend the idiocy of some people in this world.
All I’m trying to do with this thread is just send a plain and simple warning about this particular scam, which I nor my brother got caught up in.
I placed my car for sale, and the very next morning was emailed.

“ The following Private Vehicle Enquiry was generated by carpoint.com.au:

Enquiry ID: 4132422
Date: 25/02/2010 09:29

Name: phillip
Town/Suburb: Near ABERFELDIE
Postcode: 3040
Mobile Phone: 0435793402
Email: phillipthompson200@gmail.com
Comments:
Hi seller is your car still for sell,i will like to purchase it please get back to me with the history and service of the car.Thanks”

First of all, the gramma is terrible and doesn’t seem like a legitimate interest, but I replied none the less, not knowing yet of the actual circumstances of “phillip”.
I haven’t called the supplied phone number, but did reply to what i thought was a fairly legit gmail address.

Anyway, wait 6 days after I replied & this email surfaces.

“thanks for mailing back please i will like to know the firm price you are willing to sell this car?.i am a petroleum engineer and i am on rig right now.i am buying this as a birthday gift for my son,i've been trying to reach you but i discovered that our phone is currently scrambled due to the bad weather please bear with me .I can only pay through paypal at the moment as i dont have access to my bank account online,but i have it attached to my paypal account and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will need is your paypal email address to make the payment,if you dont have a paypal account yet,set up one at www.paypal.com.au,i will be expecting your email regarding it.I have a pick up agent who will come for the pick up after i might have sort out the payment.”

I knew straight away this was a scamming email, and have not replied and left it at that. A quick read of the websites warnings, and it stuck out like dogs ba**s as being a waste of time.

Don’t fall for this crap.
I hope none of you have already.

End vent.

Wild Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote