View Single Post
Old 30-01-2024, 02:06 PM   #8
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Camshafts ADV & RET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Thats because ADR27A/emissions stuff cripped all the old gear, it was a shitful era, then add in unleaded fuel being pox on its introduction in the mid 1980s, and it took until the 2000s for American 8 cylinder stuff to catch up to where they were in the 1960s with high compression ratios, no emissions crippling and leaded fuel.

Mind you Europe was doing much more powerful 6 and 8 cylinder stuff in the 1990s than the Americans, but it wasn't exactly in reach of the average punter, Mercedes 500SL and its M119 V8 comes to mind, its up about 100KW on a 5L Wheezer. Both naturally aspirated, 8 cylinders and 5L.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...16064371/?Cr=4

Look at this thing, absolute beast - I don't particularly like convertibles but this thing looked MINT, I'd become a hair dresser yesterday with pride if I had one of those.

Aurion beating a 1970s car is like bragging about beating Dylan Alcott in a race up a set of stairs, compare a 1971 Toyota Crown with its 2.6L I6 making 81KW against an XY GT with its 351C for a more apt comparison.
Bragging ? just stating a fact !
Look at the times all the way from 10KM/H to 230 KM/H the Aurion blow's away any old GT in fact !
Look at the performance of the FG Falcon 4.0L 6 sp auto and the Last V6 Commodores but hey that can not hose off an Aurion in fact, put 95 octane in the Aurion and they really get up and go better than on that 91 crap.

I think that the FG Falcon 6 will hose off any old stock GT.

I am not worshiping the Aurion at all but it's a fact. Wife bought it ! i pushed for the Falcon 6.

A XY GT makes about 245 HP DIN.
A XC 5.8L makes 162 KW = 217 HP DIN Dual exhaust, Single exhaust 188 HP = 149 KW DIN.

Aurion 3.5L makes 200 KW DIN on 91 octane and on 95 octane maybe 220 KW ?

I do not think that Unleaded dropped the power of cars at all, The VL 3.0L went real well as did the EFI XF Falcon.
Not to mention come the XD alloy head they went better than pre ADR27A 250 6 CYL in fact.

Oh the 1971 Toyota Crown i remember them, they had a huge following when talking to owners of them, i bagged them back in the day, but they could take on a HQ Holden 202 auto ? not my cuppa tea at all, but in 1980 some old dude at retirement home was trying to sell me his 202 HQ Auto and he boast it's got the Big 6 in it ! I looked at him thinking he was a retard ! Big 6 indeed !

Now on that point ? thinking back regarding older generations look what most of them drove Old Holden Grey motors and 186 Holden or 170 to 250 Falcons ! now that's gutless, what is that slow nowadays ?
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote