View Single Post
Old 25-01-2024, 11:35 PM   #2859
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Today I started preparing the new Raptor for ceramic coating. After a couple of decent washes I gave the paint an inspection. And the paint is in really good shape.
The car was built in Thailand and landed at the docks in Melbourne a couple of days ago. I took it straight off the truck and it skipped the dealership detailing. The dealership actually has an outstanding detailing department but I like to do things myself.
So after removing the transport stickers and a couple of washes the paint looked and felt great. There was no decontamination required and no swirl marks.
There is one small section on the right rear door with some holograms where they must of de-nibbed a small section. This should polish out.
This is the third new Ford in three years and this Raptor has arrived in far better shape than the 2 previous Mustangs.
So after the inspection I started masking up to help protect some trims and decals. I thought I got decent masking tape at Supercheap as I avoided the cheap stuff. But it’s terrible every time it just touches the paint it leaves a sticky residue that’s difficult to remove.

Today gave me a great opportunity to really give my new Shinemate EB210 mini polisher a decent work out and try out a few of the many different attachments it comes with. I used 2 and 3 inch foam pads on the duel action head and used 1 inch pads on the high speed rotary head with the extension bar to get in some real tight places. I started using Polish Angel Master Finish Polish with great results but switched to Schol S30 as it’s not as dusty.
There really isn’t too much I’m looking to correct on this paint but I want a slick and glossy finish before the ceramic coat goes on.

The Shinemate EB210 is a fantastic versatile mini polisher. It comes with 2 batteries and all the bits you could ever need. It works great and has plenty of power. BUT the lack of a soft start is a real pain. It’s hard not to fling polish everywhere every time you start it.
Man the Raptor is a big car.
Hopefully I have a bit more time tomorrow and can finish the polish and apply the ceramic coat.
More to follow tomorrow.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: