View Single Post
Old 20-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #17
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Insurance - how to determine write off vs repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr
Your XT 3 valve V8 insured for $10000 with a salvage value of $3500-4000 will only need $5000-7000 to knock it on the head.
I used the $10k as an example cos it was a nice round figure. Its worth half that on the insurer's system, so it would seem like it would only need a minor bingle for it to be written off. Previous owner also put an aftermarket kit on it, as ARM said parts availability will be an issue, and even if aftermarket replacements are used, its going to be $$$. They'll just write it off I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
many years ago in teen years it was suggested I go third party, but the $$ saved go into a 'replacement' back account. The $$ I saved from. comprehensive soon added up in that bank account.
I'd guess in today's society it would amount to even more for teenagers
What I did for the last 8 years. I refused to go full comp cos the difference was huge. Its now pretty much self insured from the savings. But I was surprised at how narrow the gap between 3rd party and full comp now is, so its time to reassess.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote