Thread: Dash Cameras
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #29
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Dash Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
The Street Guardian uses a standard pinout arrangement. When the power adaptor on Dad's crapped itself I used a standard ciggie phone power adaptor and micro usb cable to keep the camera working until the new adaptor arrived.

I believe you can connect the camera straight to a PC that will access the card as a data source, saves the need for having a card reader.

I'd have to assume they are all like that. Imagine it would be an overall expensive exercise to have one off custom cables made for small production runs like these cameras.

Using a standard adaptor and cable didn't seem to affect the camera or anything in the car, but like Franco I assume the adaptors have some filtering or noise suppression in them to not upset the cameras operation. One of those "why tempt fate or the gods" situation.

Don't want footage to be problematic when you really need it. And you don't want to miss out on these special moments.

The driver of the white car initially apologised profusely for not looking before reversing and said she would pay cash to repair Dad's car. So we went through the motions of looking to repair it at little cost to the other driver. The bumper on Dad's isn't very pretty at all and it didn't do any noticeable damage so we said not to worry about that. But it did rub the paint away from the upper grill through to the plastic.

So being reasonable people I looked for a new grill, but unable to find, so went to the touchup shop and got a quote of $190 (insanely overpriced) and we wrote back saying "$190 from touchup shop or if we can find a good replacement grill cheaper in the meantime we will do that". She replied back "just lodge a claim with your insurance, my insurance will cover it all". I said to Dad "this moron has no idea how insurance works, but lets do it" so we lodged a claim on a Friday night.

Tuesday morning she wrote back and said "got your claim. But I have to say its not my fault. My mechanic said because my car has more damage than yours you hit me. If I hit you, you would have more damage. Etc, etc, etc". I said to Dad "moron has just realised what she's done and is being hit with an excess. Probably somewhere between $600 and $1000. There's no turning back now".

Got an sms a couple of mins later and she said "Your car was right behind me as I was reversing out, thats why you have the front paint scratched. I will ask my insurance company to do an investigation".

The Allianz lady was ****ing herself laughing as I read out the sms. Turned out to be a worthwhile incident though. Allianz are completely repairing the bumper to as new and we'll pay extra to get the paint fade repair done. Some people just don't know when to leave it alone.
Pretty sure any accident involving a car in reverse is deemed the fault of said driver in reverse unless its exeptional circumstances.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote