Thread: Dash Cameras
View Single Post
Old 20-11-2022, 10:36 AM   #23
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dash Cameras

All of the sub $300/$400 cameras I've seen use a cigarette lighter plug as a power source. Over that they are usually hardwired because they have some sort of parking mode which require constant power. I know some cameras that come with cigarette lighter you can buy an optional hardwire power kit, which is only a 5v adaptor in place of the ciggie plug and a short length of wire coming from it.

I went to Jaycar and bought one of these cheap plugs and a length of wire:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/cigarette-...ocket/p/PS2003

Run the power wire from behind the glovebox up the side of the console and scotch locked it to the existing ciggie plug wires. Cabled tied the new ciggie plug to the heater wiring and ran the power wire for the camera up the A pillar and under the front edge of the roof lining. Very simple, tidy, well hidden and leaves the cabin power source free.

Only issue I found was because the jaycar plug isn't very grippy inside the power adaptor can vibrate out. Easily solved by wrapping some tape, like wide cloth tape, around both the adaptor and plug. Had this setup in both Dad and my car for somewhere around 3 years now without issue.

I don't have much to do with Apple products, but this might be the way to go. Lightening to SD card adaptor.

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/produc...-camera-reader

Hopefully the videos on the camera are compatible with the phone.

If its a real issue you might need to look at something more expensive, one with built in wifi where you can connect your phone directly to the camera to extract footage.

Some of the cheaper Garmins (in the $200 mark) have Wifi, but you sacrifice recording and lens quality for the additional feature. Viofo might have a reasonably priced unit with Wifi. But normally they start in the $300+ range I think.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote