View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 11:52 PM   #26
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: East Coast floods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Being 42m above sea level does not stop you from being flooded. That is a total fallacy. Gympie is 73m above sea level. Look at Toowoomba, it's about 450m above sea level. It flooded. Where I live is between 400 - 500m above sea level and plenty of places flooded around here. It all depends on the terrain, the creeks and rivers and the ability of water to disperse.
Point taken, next time I will be more specific.

In every place you've mentioned the body of water and area's that cause the flooding are at the same level or slightly below the area that has flooded. Like the Mary River in Gympie and surrounding catchment is 5 to 10 m below the properties it flooded and cut off. Geography and terrain and all that. Fair enough.

In my case I live on a hill 42m up. The peak is about 600m x 300m. One side it's straight down to the ocean 1300m away. The other straight down the hill to the main road which is 8m up. To get to me you exit the 8m above road and drive the up the hill another 34m. The next closest body of water is the Mary river, about 2m above sea level 21km away.

The only thing we'd ever have to worry about is a tsunami.

Last edited by arm79; 03-03-2022 at 12:00 AM.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote