View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: 3 Day Getaway Suggestions - Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
This is a very solid hike from the base. Might be a struggle for young kids.

You can do pinnacles starting from further up, off Mt victory rd. I'd also recommend doing the 3 lookouts off Mt victory rd also, Boroka lookout, Balconies and Reed. A little further along is Mackenzie Falls which is also quite spectacular although a lot of steps, which might be challenging for smaller children. Its not difficult though if you take your time. We did it with a 10yr old easy enough.

Another lookout, which also involves a rather steep walk, is the Top of Mt William. Its the highest point in the grampians or something. We did it with a bit of low cloud around and it was cool being above the clouds. It was July, so same time of year, and it can be very windy and very cold. The walk up is just the last 2km from the carpark and its all bitumen access road, not hiking trail. Nothing at the top except a weather station but the view is pretty good depending on the day.

Halls Gap also have a zoo, which is surprisingly big for the size of the town, and well worth the visit.
Cheers, Rob. Appreciate the advice.

Yeah, I checked out this site which seems to have some pretty good (but basic) info on some of the walks around. I hadn't appreciated the walk from Halls Gap to the Pinnacles was so long, so will probs go for the walk from sundial or wonderland. The Balconies/Reed Lookout walks sound good, too, especially considering they start at the same car park. Mount William also sounds good, but I guess it will depend a lot on what the weather is like.

The kids are 16 and 15, so age shouldn't be an issue, apart from just trying to get them to do anything physical

I'm really happy just to play it by ear. Happy just to go into Horsham one day and explore the town a bit. Not that I'm expecting a lot, but maybe a trip to the cinema, or tenpin bowling etc. Again, depends on what the weather is doing at the time.

Was going to load the bikes up into the back of the ute to take with us, but I really can't see us using them; it's not like the weather is going to be luring us out. So I'll save that for another time.

Yeah, the zoo might be an option. Just not sure how the kids will feel about that one; could go either way!

We'll explore and I'm sure we'll have heaps to keep us occupied for the few days we're there.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: