View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #1175
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Besides, I'd never buy property with another person. Not to mention the amount of women that have kids, give up their own job to raise them and let hubby continue progressing in his only to have the rug ripped out from their feet and dumped out on their *** when hubby decides he has all the leverage and wants something else in life? I'll take a hard pass on all of that.
It seems that to have a real crack at it with the housing market you need a dual income. Whether that is okay with anyone is up to them but unfortunately it seems that this is the only way you can do it easily without either having an incredible income, working 2-3 jobs or going away from high value property.

I'm not convinced that one should have a view on life that getting married or de facto will only end in a partner changing their minds and moving on. A lot of women choose to stay at home with kids but are not necessarily forced and moving back to my original point a dual income is likely needed if you want to build value in your property or properties. I have been the sole income earner pretty well for the past 3 years as we have had kids and wife has only now just gone back to earning money because she wants to. It's certainly not a control thing but we all agree that while we are together, or living life, we need to do what we can to progress.

You say that saving a deposit while paying rent is not achievable - but what time frame are you working on? Perhaps you could 'rent-vest' purchasing a property in a cheaper area that can build equity to allow you to eventually buy closer in - the rentvest property requiring a smaller purchase deposit etc.

..there are also banks that will allow you to build a home with as small as 2-3% deposit now too - perhaps a housing development could allow you to get in?