View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 10:53 AM   #1171
leesa

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
But- If you enjoy your career-you should try to think laterally about buying something that you can get that has good capital growth- it may not be new, pretty, in a desirable location, but something to get a toe in the market in an area that is feasible to get to your work from.
I can't pay rent and save for a deposit at the same time. It seems doable for people who can save while they live with their parents but that's not an option for me. That's just the way it is for people who were too young to buy before the boom unfortunately.

Re: the career, I've spent the past couple of years moving sideways into an area that has more hope for being able to work remotely. If it works I'll at least be able to move away from the city and rent somewhere that offers a better lifestyle. If it doesn't and I can't find remote work, oh well, it's not my top priority.

Quote:
Just beware throwing away your career and moving to the country and then getting an unrewarding job and suddenly ending up full of regrets.
I love what I do but I don't think anyone lies in their deathbed feeling satisfied by what they did to earn a coin. I hate the city and don't want to spend the rest of my life here, and that outweighs how I feel about my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
anyway...

(a) you need a partner to share a mortgage with (it halves the numbers)

I can think of two capital cities that you can buy a house for under 300k right now.
So that I can be judged on how I look, as was demonstrated earlier? Yeah, no thanks.
Besides, I'd never buy property with another person. Not to mention the amount of women that have kids, give up their own job to raise them and let hubby continue progressing in his only to have the rug ripped out from their feet and dumped out on their *** when hubby decides he has all the leverage and wants something else in life? I'll take a hard pass on all of that.