View Single Post
Old 23-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #414
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Yes, great if you are older and have tech savvy, English speaking parents.

In reality - Students in year 4 and below will probably do very little till school is back unless they have a parent capable and willing to sit by them and do everything with them one to one.

Can you imagine a 5-7 year old logging into Skype and teaching themselves or following the instructions online?

I was sitting in on HS classes last week trying to debug the online learning platforms and even years 8-10 were struggling.

Half of them were fooling around on other sites, not bothering with the classes - which is exactly what will happen at home.

This year is going to be a compliance nightmare for education. Passing a class is based on hrs sat per year. With no way to monitor what has and has not been sat at this time some tough decisions will need to be made.

I think they should switch the Summer 6 week holidays to now and hope that in the next few months things settle down and come Dec / Jan students only get 2 weeks.

That is the ONLY way we can keep compliant and ride the year out and start 2021 schooling year as per normal.
Well we have 4 in primary school and will make the call the keep them home later this week. Luckily they all have Chrome Books and the school is setting up what is to be the bare minimum.

To think they will get the full year if this drags on is wishful, so we will stick to the basics which I/we will focus on maths.

Appreciate not all schools have laptops so thats going to be a bitch. Surely schools could print packs off and deliver?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane