Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #484
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Well times are changing and it became quite apparent yesterday.
The last of our true old schoolers retired after 50 years in the industry. I am now the oldest in the shed at 42 and the average age is down to 29.
So as we sat down for his last smoko break of coffee and cakes the new school arrived, quite poignant really.
Introducing our new Toro eTriflex greens mower...
The fairway mower has been hybrid for quite some time but this is the first greens mower of its type I've experienced.
Other than being significantly quieter and having the ability to run for weeks on a 20L tank it has no hydraulics. Quite an advantage if you've ever seen the aftermath of a hose blowing on a green. A month on and my last one is still scorched earth

The technology is astounding, I won't bore anyone with details of adjustable blade counts or variable clip control but I'll expand on the two things that have impressed me the most. had a quick look and found this overview of them ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAJbnk6jWaY .. I can see why you like yours so much ..

The traction system is amazing, early zero turns can break traction and scuff quite easily and previous traction control versions have felt too glitchy. This one feels natural and simply won't let slippage happen, it even controls the steering rate to avoid tank slapping on the return. Apparently you can do a full 360 on a delicate bent grass green without leaving a mark, although I'm not that courageous with it yet.

The biasing of the cutting heads is pretty special too. If you think of an old style unit as a locked diff the inside cutters do a lot more work on the turns leading to scalping and scorch from hot sole plates. The sound of the reels individually slowing and speeding up on turns is really noticeable and the cut is silky smooth.

Without the old schoolers conversation and the new schoolers buried in their phones I've got a big owners manual to read and comprehend at smoko times for quite some time.
very , very nice indeed .. She's a bit of a step up on the two Scott Bonnar 65's (24" cut) greens mowers I had to use when I was greenkeeping between 1986 and 1994. Cut nice but a double cut was a bit time consuming to say the least . Only 9 greens and one 100 sq metre practice green . Bowls green was done with the big electric 30" mower.
The club here now has a couple of Toro's Triplex's but they are definitely old school. They were bought second hand reconditioned quite some time ago One they use for fairway/ fringes , the other greens .

The school I work at uses Toro blade mower for the grounds . It's about three years old I guess ..

Anything Toro is pretty cool but the new tech stuff would be incredible and not having the risk of leaking or busted hydraulics is a real bonus .

Found this quick overview on them on YT just now.. This bloke was pretty impressed too ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAJb...=57s....Cheers .

Last edited by roddy1960; 12-01-2020 at 09:36 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: