View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #167
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Of course, I realise I can bring or use whatever bag I choose.
I just think it is hypocritical that they ban single-use plastic bags, then sell you reusable plastic ones, for those who forgot or did not bring their own bags.

They should offer an alternative such as the eco-friendly biodegradable string bags I suggested for the purpose of carrying shopping home.

And yes, of course, they would still sell single-use bags needed for rubbish liners, but that is for a different purpose than carrying shopping home.
The IGA I went to today has the reusable 'Coles bags', and also a hessian bag you can buy. I had bought the hessian bag on a previous trip.

My girlfriend picked up a string bag from a store very recently too.
Plenty of places are doing this.

Honestly, it's not that inconvenient. And I imagine the thicker purchasable plastic bags are an interim solution until people are more used to bringing their own.

We've always used the shopping bags as garbage bags too, but we haven't started buying bin liners. The girlfriend likes to garden, so scraps are going into compost. Containers are rinsed out, and it's only 'clean' rubbish going into the bin, so it doesn't smell either. The composting option is less viable in a flat, of course.

One issue I ran into recently was I took my old backpack down to the shop rather than bags I would need to carry in my hands, and they have a no backpack policy. But I just left it at the counter.
2 users like this post: