View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #63
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipn View Post
I see LED's mentioned a couple of times , being a torchaholic and using leds here's my ten cents worth .

Leds come in different binning (or shades look it up) , those cheaper ones one sees available are the cool white versions , cool white is the worst for reflecting back colours imo and its proven out there scientifically on the interweb , also using a led to try to read colour codes on resistors and the likes red/brown/grey and others all look the same.

Talking from practical experience here with torches with a single led cool white at 2 amp with throws out to 250m using deep dish reflectors and those Greyish/Silver wood fence posts and anything Rusty Brown in colour like steel power pole supports out here in rural land can practically disappear from vision even when one knows it is there! when one sprays around the light to where that colour is , using a normal torch (halogen) its plainly there .

Guess what colour a Roo can be , yes Rusty brown or Greyish , me personally would never use those Led's as one would not notice its there until it might be too late .

Seriously , anyway i get a nice white light out of the halogens i use on the escape . Paul
Interesting. Over the past few years all the work cars have been slowly changed from halogen spot lights to LED flood lights.
I have noticed that I cannot spot kangaroos any easier with the LEDs even though the LEDs are noticeably brighter and have a wider beam. I assumed that I don't spot them any quicker because the beam was more spread out rather than focused in a smaller area, but I have to say what you said might explain it.
I think it's experiment time if I can find an old torch in the garage.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: