View Single Post
Old 28-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Biggest local recall in automotive history - To be announced today

If you want to find out more go to the ACCC website below, some recalls are immediate (Alpha airbags) and some have until Dec 31 2020 to be rectified (or later in some instances if approved by the ACCC)

Lots more info....

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...-airbag-recall

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...-airbag-recall

....etc etc

Also...

Quote:
Which vehicles are the highest priorities for airbag replacement?

Replacements of alpha airbags in vehicles must be scheduled immediately as they pose the highest risk of rupture.

For vehicles that contain other types of defective Takata airbags, older vehicles and those exposed long-term to hot and humid conditions are at increased risk of an inflator rupture. Driver side airbags (as compared with passenger side airbags) also pose increased risk of serious injury or death if a rupture does occur due to the proximity of the airbag to the driver and its positioning in the steering wheel.

Consequently, the compulsory recall requires suppliers to prioritise replacement of airbags in vehicles which fall into one or more of the following categories:

1. vehicles currently registered in areas of high heat and humidity
2. older vehicles, particularly those that are older than 6 years
3. vehicles with driver-side inflators.
And the only reference to selling on a vehicle under active recall i could find is....

Quote:
What about second-hand vehicles?

Regardless of whether you bought your vehicle brand new or second hand, you are entitled to receive a replacement airbag free of charge.

To ensure that you are notified if your vehicle is subject to the Takata airbag recall, you should contact the Australian office of the manufacturer of your vehicle to ensure that they have your current contact details.

If your vehicle is affected by the recall, and you sell your car prior to receiving your final replacement, you should advise the new owner that the vehicle has an affected Takata airbag that will require replacement, and contact the Australian office of the manufacturer and provide them with the new owner’s contact details (with the new owner’s consent).

I recently bought a second hand car and have just received a letter about the recall. I wasn’t told about the recall when I purchased the car. What are my rights?

Businesses must not sell cars that are under active recall before having the defective Takata airbag replaced. Businesses that fail to do so may face penalties for non-compliance with the compulsory recall

If your car was under active recall at the time you purchased it from a second-hand dealer, please report it to us.

If recall action is not yet initiated for the car, and the second-hand dealer knows that the vehicle is subject to future recall, then the dealer can still sell it to you, provided they inform you about the future recall. They must also advise you of the risk associated with the airbag. This information must be given to you verbally and in writing.
.....other than the above i haven't found anything more re a private individual not been able to sell a car under active recall, seems to be
business only restriction....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 28-02-2018 at 11:26 AM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: