View Single Post
Old 26-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
AD26

Default Re: Newbie - Cougar ownership query?

Hi Steve,
I've only owned my cougar for 2 years now but I haven't had any major drama with it. The only words you should be ready for when you buy ANYTHING for it is, "what's a Ford Cougar?" or "never seen one of these before".

All in all, can be serviced at home with a jack but wheel stands make the job 1000 times easier. If you just want to drive it as is, it's a nice car.

If you're willing to spend some $$ though, you can get a little performance out of a CAI, exhaust and headers. Some other little fun pieces can be found in the US from a model that's roughly 3/4 compatible with our cougars called an SVT Contour.
From the SVT you can grab the upper intake manifold and throttle body(make sure they give you the bracket!!) which is a relatively simple home job as well.

You may have seen it mentioned already in your browsing but just in case, rockauto is a great place to get parts from. Make sure you get everything you need though as it's international shipping and can add up. Also, the cougars had a change in 99 that most sites with parts list up to 2001. Searching 2002 will get you the right parts.

Welcome to the forum, hope that info helps
AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote