View Single Post
Old 19-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #337
Spurious

Default Protect your asset, avoid theft.

I've just registered with FF and the 'stolen car' thread caught my attention. I'm amazed at the number of newer cars being stolen. With smartshield systems and such you gotta wonder how they get nicked. After reading some of the posts here it got me thinking about my own cars security. Obviously getting the keys is a priority for the thieves so allow me to offer suggestions. I have an AU2 fairmont with tickford mod's. I have 2 keys, 1 for daily use and a spare and they're both usually with me. The spare is carried in my 'man bag' when I'm out n' about in the car & it comes with me when I leave the car. If I go out on the pushy or to the oval to kick a footy the main keys (house n' car) are with me and the spare is stashed in the house, this is potentially flawed though if a crim sacks the house in search of, (stash locale' now altered). As some crims have the balls to invade a house while it's occupied, I always sleep with my man bag and keys next to my bed, even though my car is garaged & the garage is attached to the house it's not worth the risk. Locks only stop honest folk & dealing with the insurance aftermath is hell! Never leave car keys on display (kitchen bench top, key rack ect) and if your going away for extended periods without the car (days,weeks) then take ALL keys with you or leave with a trusted friend or relative at a different property. If your more than 5 metres away from the car anytime anywhere, lock it. Also some Aussie states now have a law that states all windows must be closed if your more than 5 metres away from your car. Don't leave keys on the pub bar and builders....lock the work bus even whilst onsite with it in sight. Surfers, use a magnetic key holder stashed under your car when you hit the waves but make certain that no-one see's where you hide it. ***IF YOUR PRIZED RIDE IS FOR SALE*** and someone comes to view it, put it in a secured yard, if you can't then park another car behind yours on the driveway. Also open up all doors boot and bonnet during the viewing prior to a test drive. If the buyer rocks up in a car take down the rego. If a buyer rocks up on foot then ask if you can hold their license while they look through and/or start your car (they need one on them to test drive anyhow and be sure to look at the photo on it) DON'T give them the keys to fire it up if you can help it. YOU jump in and start it up, if the buyer is in the drivers seat and asks for the keys, you should stand in the doorway within reach of the keys. Take the keys out ASAP when they're done and NEVER walk away or around the car while engine is running (to shut bonnet before test drive ect). When I sold my '85 XF s'pack (owned for 10yrs) I drove the first leg of a test drive with a potential buyer who came across a bit suss'. When I stopped and got out to allow him to drive, the fat bugger slid over the console to get into the drivers seat! If the buyer wants a test drive, you get in the car first (back seat maybe) and then give them the keys. Don't get out 'til your back home again & take a mobile phone for security. At the end of the day it's YOUR CAR until money has changed hands, so do what you have to in order to protect your asset.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: