View Single Post
Old 15-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #102
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: IRS upper shock mount - Permanent fix

Hi all, just a quick update to this, I'm doing another small run of these over the next week or so, so will have a few on hand.

I've also made a small modification to the original design.

If you recall going through this thread, the rubber bushes did show premature wear because of the lateral forces on the small boss.

Using poly bushes appeared to have fixed this problem initially, but longer term testing has shown it hasn't.

I said I'll fix it if the problem shows itself again, and I have.
I simply weld a small tube with an ID the same OD as the Superpro bush, on the top and bottom of the main plate.
This then makes use of the entire bush to locate itself centrally on the plate.

Easy.

Only problem is, I have 1/2 dozen or so of you guys with the original design. Obviously as a recall, I will modify all of your units free of charge if you can get them to me at your leisure.
This won't cause a failure of any kind in the short term, but they will eventually begin to rattle.
Naturally if you continued to drive with it rattling, it has the potential to fail eventually (like anything which is grinding metal to metal).
I would like to see them all back here because of this.

Once this is done, I'm confident this will then last indefinitely, or at least until the poly bush itself wears out, but that will be a long time.

Lastly, I'm going to supply all future mounts, complete with the Superpro bushes, so they fit perfectly with the latest modification I'm doing now.
Obviously the price will go up in line with the cost of the bushes.