Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #434
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: New to cycling

None of my bikes are insured (other than H&C), and frankly i'm not going to bother... they dont have brakes. So if I was at fault, insurance wouldn't cover me anyway! And if I was unfortunate enough to be in an accident caused by somebody else, then their insurance/the government would cover me.

If I had dropped a couple of k on a carbon roadie, which is road legal, I would investigate. Nothing like having a crash on your own accord and cracking a brand new frame ha!

In other news, I've stripped down my Hillman for a full rebuild. Selling off the vintage groupset, giving the wheels to my dad.

Will be building it up with a modern group/wheels (Probs Tiagra because it's cheap, and new Tiagra 10spd has been getting great reviews). Sticking to the budget this time because this is only for a bit of fun/sunday ride with the old man. If i wanted to ride road all the time, I would buy a new road bike, not a vintage Steel bike with modern group! For now I just train on my Fixed Gear! Did an 82km ride at 29.6kph average the other day with 2 mates on roadies! Was sore the next morning ha!

Frame has been confirmed by Hillman as being Legit, Built by Gordon Hill in 1985 out of Reynolds 531 Steel with Campagnolo Fork Tips and Drop outs!