View Single Post
Old 25-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #35
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Absolutely shocking.
Whilst easy to deride these people, it could have started out innocently enough; some people just have woeful judgement at the best of times; moreso when there's alcohol involved. Sadly after making a stupid decision, most of us can dust ourselves off and are more careful next time. These people will never have that chance again. I feel for the children who had to watch their mother and aunty die. Hopefully they'll be taken care of and not left alone in their grief.

Sorry, I can not agree with you there. Time for perspective, getting drunk in front of your kids, allowing a drunk unlicensed driver to drive the car while you bonnet surf is not a small thing.

It may sound harsh and for this I appoligise but personally I am glad it was the stupid adults that payed the price, not the innocent kids and/or another innocent family in a crash.

I guess I like so many other emergency services workers find it hard to show compassion to people that show such stupidity and blatant disregard to the welfare of others. In my eyes, that is an element here, that mother showed no regard for the safety of her own kids. Lets be honest here, those kids although not physically injured, are likely to go through their whole lives effected by PTSD. Having lived with PTSD for the last 30 years I know what it is like and would not wish it on my worst enemy. The mother got off light if you ask me.

I think it is time we as a society ceased saying "thats alright, it was an error in judgement" and started treating it for what it was. Bonnet surfing is not an error in judgement, it is a complete act of stupidity.